What is Fair Trade?
"With Fairtrade you have the power to change the world every day. With simple shopping choices you can help farmers get a better deal. And that means they can make their own decisions, control their futures and lead the dignified life everyone deserves.
Fairtrade is a simple way to make a difference to the lives of the people who grow the things we love. We do this by changing the way trade works through better prices, decent working conditions and a fair deal for farmers and workers in developing countries."
Image: Candela Peru producer, Esmiker de la Peña Huanuire gathering Brazil nuts from the rainforest in Peru.Invest today
The Fair Trade movement
The fair trade movement aims to promote fair and equal trading terms for producers in developing countries. It is based around ten key principles:
- Creating Opportunities for Economically Disadvantaged Producers
- Transparency and Accountability
- Fair Trading Practices
- Payment of a Fair Price
- Ensuring no Child Labour and Forced Labour
- Commitment to Non Discrimination, Gender Equity and Women's Economic Empowerment, and Freedom of Association
- Ensuring Good Working Conditions
- Providing Capacity Building
- Promoting Fair Trade
- Respect for the Environment
We work with Fairtrade producers
Shared Interest aims to promote these principles and support fair trade producers and businesses to deliver meaningful social impact in towns and villages across the globe.
For more information about fair trade visit the Fairtrade Foundation and WFTO websites.
Image: TradeAID Integrated basket weaver, Atule Azeyoke holds harvested vegetables grown using soiless farming.